100 little things you can do to be happy anywhere
It’s all about the little things. Yes, it’s easy to live fully in the moment and be bubbling over with happiness during a travel excursion, but how does one maintain that sense of adventure the rest of the time? It’s all about appreciating the small things, and setting positive events in motion. It’s about having fun and making life a never ending celebration. It’s about learning, growing, and thriving. If you do enough little things consistently, then they turn into big things, and before you know it you might realize you have found something very special: the ability to be happy wherever you are. Here is a list of little things you can do to enjoy life today. I dare you to do one a day from my list for 100 days. Enjoy!
1. Pick up that dirty penny, put it in your pocket, and know it will bring you good luck.
2. Walk the scenic route.
3. Give away the bus/gas money you saved, by walking, to someone who needs it.
4. Dance to bad music just because it’s playing.
5. Wave back at children when they wave at you.
6. Go to bed early.
7. Stay up all night.
8. Learn the cheesiest joke ever and tell it to strangers.
9. Climb a tree.
10. Cut/dye/change your hair.
11. Pick flowers for your house.
12. Call your grandma, aunt, mom, or someone you care about but haven’t spoken too in a while.
13. Tell them you love them.
14. Volunteer your time for a cause you care about.
15. Instead of tossing your extra food, box it up and give it to someone hungry.
16. Wear sexy underwear. Like really really skanky, sexy stripper panties.
17. Sit in the park and write in your journal.
18. Leave extra pennies you’ve accumulated on the ground for someone else to find.
19. Make your pet a Facebook profile.
20. Have your pet be friends with my dog, Goji Bear! (She’s had her profile for a long time)
21. Wake up early, make a cup of tea, and watch the sunrise.
22. Make fresh squeezed orange juice.
23. Buy cheap champagne.
24. Make mimosas and drink them outside in the sunshine.
25. Take a bubble bath.
27. Plant something.
28. Instead of getting lost on the internet, get lost outside.
29. Say “yes” more.
30. Go through your clothes and give away what you don’t wear anymore. Better yet host a clothing swap.
31. Embrace the moment. Do something you’ve been putting off.
32. Shop at the outdoor market this week instead of a grocery store.
33. Paint your toenails an obscene color.
34. Perfect the art of listening.
35. Next time it starts raining, go in to the nearest restaurant or bar and tell them you left your little black umbrella there last week. Whichever one they show you say “That’s it! Thank you so much!”
36. If you already have an umbrella, tell your friend how to get a new free umbrella….
37. Instead of watching TV, read a book. It can be a picture book.
38. If you have a friend’s birthday coming up, plan a present to make for them instead of picking out something to buy.
39. MAKE IT.
40. Blow bubbles. Pop them before they pop.
41. Clean your room from top to bottom. Seriously.
42. Forgive someone who hurt you.
43. Go thrift store shopping. See how much you can get with $10.
44. Decide to only say positive things about other people and yourself.
45. Draw hearts and smiley faces on everything.
46. Daydream. Own your fantasies. Figure out which ones you can turn into reality,
47. Fly a kite.
48. Remember the silly things you did when you were a teenager.
49. Reach out to someone you did those silly things with and remind them of the shared memory.
50. Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.
51. Next time you wear all black, make sure your socks are bright, silly and happy.
52. Bake cookies and share them.
53. Open up your windows.
54. Get off your ass and get outside.
55. If it’s raining jump in puddles.
56. Appreciate beauty. It’s everywhere as soon as you start looking.
57. Look for a four leaf clover.
58. Go through your scrapbook, junk drawer, wallet, and decorate your refrigerator/journal/corkboard with special notes, stickers, ticket stubs, and all those cute little things you don’t want to throw away, but don’t know what to do with.
59. Stop someone on the street and compliment them on their shoes, hair, smile, etc. Mean it.
60. Embrace your inner-dork. Let your inner-dork become an outer-dork and don’t apologize for it.
61. Wear that one shirt/dress/skirt you splurged on a year ago and still haven’t worn.
62. Smile at a non-creepy stranger.
63. Send a postcard to a friend who doesn’t live in your city anymore.
64. Light a scented candle.
65. Put a flower in your hair.
66. Leave a note on your receipt telling that sexy bartender he’s sexy.
67. Ride your bike.
68. Wear glitter.
70. Help someone carry groceries.
71. Tell a pregnant lady that you hope she has a good birth.
72. Drink tequila.
73. Make a list of 10 reasons your life is great.
74. Don’t be afraid to say “no” when you mean it.
75. Take care of a sick friend.
76. Wear your highest heels and go to happy hour at your local gay bar.
77. Wearing outrageously high heels should be enough to spark conversations, but if not practice saying “Oh my god! Is that Justin Bieber????” (Or Lindsay Lohan. Or Ryan Gosling. You get the idea.)
78. Wash your sheets and shave your legs the same day. It feels so good!
79. Jump on the bed.
81. Ask someone for help when you need it.
82. Leave a big tip.
83. Take pictures of you and your friends in silly group shots. Sober.
84. Next time someone asks you for help, do it.
85. Eat chocolate. Good chocolate.
86. Learn how to take a compliment. Smile, look the giver in the eye and say “thank you.” It’s that simple.
87. Instead of meeting your friends for a fancy dinner where everyone is going to fight over the bill, host a potluck.
88. Try to cut processed foods out of your diet.
89. If you want to cry, then let it out.
90. Realize that every hardship you have gone through has made you stronger and wiser.
91. Take a nap in the sunshine.
92. Learn how to purrrrrrrrrrr.
93. Walk around barefoot on the Earth.
94. Get your hands dirty.
95. Take a long, hot shower, preferably while singing off-key.
96. Next time you go out for a night on the town, draw mustaches on you and your friend’s fingers. See how many strangers will do it too.
97. Do yoga.
98. Write someone who inspires you a letter and tell them that they inspire you.
99. Remember: confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can wear. Wear it with pride.
100. Smile and say thank you for being alive.
Mmmmmmmm! Just re-reading that list makes me smile. I would love to have more little happy things added in the comments below….
* post written by Kyra Bramble. To read more of Kyra’s, check out her website.