Ready yourselves for Christmas folly, fa la la la la, la la la la!
‘Tis the season to get drunk and jolly, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Don we now our Santa apparel, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Drinking ale by the barrel, fa la la la la, la la la la!
See the blurry street before us, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Ring your bells and join the chorus, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Follow the Santas to the next bar, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Hopefully its not that far, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Drink away the old year passes, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Hail the new and finish your glasses, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Sing we off-key all together, fa la la la la, la la la la!
Heedless of the wind and weather, fa la la la la, la la la la!
What’s better than celebrating the holiday season by dressing up like Santa and day drinking? Doing it with thousands of other people doing the same thing, of course!
SantaCon is an international flash mob of Santas that bar hop, sing Christmas carols, and play silly reindeer games, like icicle sledding in the park with a beer in each hand. Most events take place within the first three weeks of December, but check your local SantaCon site for details!.
In true flash mob style meet up information often isn’t available until days or hours before the actual event to keep Santas, and the local authorities, on their toes. During the day, depending on where you are, you can usually track the Santa schedule through Twitter and text messages. Or just look for the large group of drunk singing people dressed like Santa.
SantaCon began in San Francisco in 1994 but has since spread across the world and now has 221 different events in 31 countries. In 2007 more than 13,000 Santas set a Guinness World Record in Ireland. That’s a lot of freaking Santas!
The rules for SantaCon are simple:
1. Santas dress up like Santa, Rudolph, Frosty, the Sugarplum Fairy, or something of the sort.
2. Santas MUST address everyone as “Santa.”
3. Santas are always nice to children and never make them cry. Adults and tourists are fair game.
4. Santas (do their best to) obey all local laws.
5. Santas like to give and receive gifts. (Last year I spent a fortune on jingle bells. And champagne.)
6. Santas bring cash and over tip the bar staff.
7. “No Santa’s left behind!” Watch out for your fellow Santas!
8. Santas know their drinking limit and never drink and drive.
9. Santas like to “ho-ho-ho” frequently.
10. Santas always have a merry Christmas and tell everyone else to do the same.
Sound like your kind of fun? Check it out here and see if your city has its own Santacon or start your own.
All of these awesome SantaCon photos above were taken by the incredibly talented Steph Goralnick.
Does Santa prefer cookies or champagne?
Oh, and heels are definitely NOT recommended.
Now go get your Santa on!