During the last weeks, some of you might have been affected by delayed or cancelled flights due to bad weather conditions or strikes. While stranded at the airport because of unpredictable (or sometimes predictable) occasions, not being able to get home or away from home, bad karma is just around the corner and it is very easy to get angry at the world or the weather gods or any airline employee around you.
To keep you busy and beware you from airport boredom, we collected a list of things to do for you:
- Use the delay as a conversation starter with the cute boy sitting right next to you
- Go on twitter and search via hashtag who else might be stuck on your airport and find them (Iphone also has a location app that allows you to see who’s checked into the same location)
- Spend your last coins of foreign money on airport souvenirs
- Go to the duty free and get yourself a free makeover including the new kenzo perfume
- Go around and convince a group of people to start a flashmob with you
- Improve on the different ways of braiding your hair
- Go to one of the bars, order a glass of red wine for probably 10€ and play the misterious lonesome lady to the barkeeper
- Clean out your wallet (No, you don’t need those McDonalds Monopoly vouchers for a donut anymore!)
- Lay on a bench and just enjoy the airport sounds for a while
- Go online or call amnesty international and donate money to improve your (travel) karma
- Go to the airport gym. Yes, some airports are equipped with gyms!
- Check out the departures screen and see if you can correctly identify the countries for each of the destination cities listed
- Use the free time to make some non-urgent calls, like that boy you haven’t talked to in a while or just to hear the voice of your mom for a moment
- Find a quiet spot, turn it into a runway and make a video
- Head over to an airline counter and make new travel plans. There’s usually good deals on discount tickets at the airport.
- Grab a deck of playing cards and find someone for a round Crazy Eights
- Use one of the moving walkways as a treadmill if your airport has no gym
- Ask strangers to take their picture. Guarantuee for strange looks and making new friends at the airport.
- Or try to find every letter of the alphabet on airport signs and make pictures of them. Guarantee for strange looks only.
- If you are exhausted from all the entertainment, but you are still waiting: Go and buy yourself a giant toblerone. Chocolate makes the world a better place.
She has an eye for beauty and even finds it in ugly apartment blogs. Her weekly photo chronicle “My week in pictures” has already become a classic among urban Berliners. Find out more at smaracuja.de.